Monday, March 21, 2016

Week Four

This week I got to observe a laparoscopy which is a surgical procedure done to look inside the belly or pelvis. A laparoscope, a lighted tube with a camera at the end, is inserted through a small cut through the navel. The surgery did freak me out a little because I didn't know doctors could go through our belly buttons. And that thought made me feel uneasy.

Like the previous weeks, I continued observing appointments with Doctor Brotsky on Monday but, I spent Tuesday reaching out to support groups for Postpartum Depression, finishing my questionnaire and researching terms and recent news. On that note, there has been a uterus transplant! It failed but, the surgery serves as a step to a future option for women. Also, Dr. Brotsky set me up with a social worker and a lactation consultant for next week so I can get more insight on how hospitals screen for PPD and the types of problems women have while breastfeeding and solutions the lactation consultants provide.

With the surveys and meetings for next week, I'll have so much more to talk about. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lizette! It's really cool reading your blog because it postpartum depression affects so many people. I was recently reading this article where many celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Hayden Panettiere opened up about how postpartum depression affects thousands, and what challenges they in particular faced. Thanks for bringing attention to this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laiba. I admire those in the spotlight, like celebrities, who use their fame to bring attention to these issues. Many women feel alone or judged because of the negative thoughts and feelings they're having and when women like Gwyneth and Hayden come out and share their stories, it encourages women to seek help and work through their rough time.

      Delete